TFS 2012 Support

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Work this with TFS 2012?
Developer
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I have not tested wiqadmin with TFS 2012. We have not upgraded yet to TFS 2012.

However, I know that the Team Explorer 2010 client connects to TFS 2012 without any SPs or hotfixes, so it may be compatible. Or it may require a rebuild with the TFS 2012 reference assemblies, I cannot be sure.

If you have a dev/test instance of TFS 2012 to test it with, I would say it is worth a try in a practice team project. I seriously doubt if it would cause any corruption if it is not compatible.

Also, if you do try, please post back here the results for others benefit.

Thank you and best of luck.
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I was able to run Wiqadmin v1.1 on my TFS 2012 server after installing TFS 2010 Client Object Model. For the most part, I've been able to perform the list, export and import commands.

I did notice one issue attempting to import a TFS 2012 WIQ from the MSF Agile 6.1 process template and believe it is due to a WIQL syntax change between TFS 2010 and TFS 2012. Specifically, the "Shared Queries/Current Iteration/Iteration Backlog" query will not import using WiqAdmin v1.1 and instead returns the following error:
Unknown MODE parameter. The error is caused by «Recursive, ReturnMatchingChildren».
Looking at the query in the MSF Agile 6.1 template (for TFS 2012.1), the WIQL ends with:
  ORDER BY [Microsoft.VSTS.Common.StackRank] ASC,[System.Id] ASC
      MODE (Recursive, ReturnMatchingChildren)
By comparison, the equivalent query in the MSF Agile 5.0 template (for TFS 2010) ends with:
  ORDER BY [Microsoft.VSTS.Common.StackRank] ASC,[System.Id] ASC
      MODE (Recursive)
If I change the mode and remove the "ReturnMatchingChildren" segment, the import works fine.

I've determine that this change translates to the way the query filters its results:
  1. In TFS 2012 Web Access, click "View Work Items" under the Activities menu on the right side.
  2. Expand "Shared Queries".
  3. Expand "Current Iteration".
  4. Edit the "Iteration Backlog" query and scroll to the bottom of the query editor.
By default, in TFS 2012, the Filter Options drop-down has the "Match linked work items first" selected. By removing the "ReturnMatchingChildren" mode from the WIQL, this changes to "Match top-level work items first".

I haven't spent any time trying to pull down the source and update with the TFS 2012 Object model - and not sure how soon I could do that - but wanted to pass along my findings. In the meantime, you'll have to manually update this query within each Team Project that this particular query is imported to.

Thanks,
Matt
Coordinator
May 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Hi,
I'll try to release a TFS 2012 compatible version this week-end.

Guillaume